Lance Tewgurlswan Cup Final Season 8

This was written by Damology


On Monday just gone, my Orc team, Bash 'Em Smash 'Em, faced off against hissa-lives' Chaos Dwarf team, The Claw. This was the grand final of the Lance Tewgurlswan Cup, a knock-out competition that runs alongside the regular South Kent Area Blood Bowl (SKABB) league.

I was very pleased to have got to a final in my first season in the league, so I got a bit excited on Amazon and decked the playing area out in blue and red flags, representing the colours of the two teams.

My opponent won the toss and elected to receive.  We set up strong and central, as suits orcs in a bash on bash match up.

We were pretty lucky with our first couple of rounds of blocks, and the chorfs made a push down our right flank.  We managed to dodge an orc blitzer through to base their ball carrier and force an early score on T4.  With 4 turns to reply, we were feeling pretty confident.

My confidence was shaken when, at the end of a turn where we pushed forwards, I realised that I had moved one player too many, and I was missing a cage corner with a Bull Centaur needing a double GFI to get a 2D block on my ball carrier!  An absolute schoolboy error.

Then, the unthinkable happened - hissa-lives rolled a double one on the second rush, and the bull was on the floor and my ball carrier was free!  I took advantage of this gift from Nuffle and scored on T8.

The second half was pretty intense.  A very deep kick meant that, while the majority of my team were tied up around the halfway line, I had 2 bull centaurs harassing my ball carrier.  Fortunately I had kept a couple of big 'uns back but we lost the ball at least once, maybe twice, before managing to collect it with a blitzer.  The blitzer was surrounded, and both coaches were trying to maneuver blocks in the midfield that would enable us to free more players up to join the scrum around the ball in my backfield.

Fortunately orcs are a bit better at dodging than Chorfs, so I thought I was doing OK!  Then the turning point happened!

I had a lineman who was doing a great job tying up the minotaur.  Standing up each turn and then getting punched again.  But the minotaur had positioned himself where he could surf the lino next turn, so I thought it best to dodge him away.  He failed the dodge!  The minotaur was free! 

Fortunately the minotaur could not directly blitz the ball carrier, but he could blitz an adjacent player and sandwich my blitzer between a ST5 minotaur and a ST4 bull Centaur.  The minotaur charged in.  The block dice were rolled.

DOUBLE SKULLS!

He spent a re-roll!

Loner failed!

We had a big un who could easily block the bull Centaur out of the way with an assist from the ball carrier.

My MV6 blitzer ran the length of the field, easily out pacing the chorfs, and my big uns were able to keep the bulls occupied while we scored on T16. 

I would love to say the win was down to my skill and talent, but I'm pretty sure that the dice decided it! Commiserations to hissa-lives who was a great opponent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAF Presidential Election

Nufflenomics: The Fouling Game

Nufflenomics: How Strong is the Average Bloodbowl Player?